Banff National Park is one of the most beautiful and diverse places in the world. With a wide range of outdoor activities, breathtaking scenery, and a rich history, there is something for everyone to enjoy in this Canadian gem. Whether you’re an experienced hiker, a nature enthusiast, or a history buff, Banff National Park has something to offer. Here are the top 20 things to do in Banff National Park that you won’t want to miss.
Hike to Johnston Canyon: This is one of the most popular hikes in Banff National Park and for good reason. The trail takes you along a beautiful canyon, with stunning waterfalls and rock formations.
2. Take a scenic drive along the Icefields Parkway: This 230-kilometer stretch of road offers some of the most breathtaking views in the world. You’ll pass by glaciers, mountains, and alpine lakes, making it the perfect way to experience the natural beauty of Banff.
5. Take a boat tour on Lake Minnewanka: This beautiful lake offers a variety of boat tours, including a dinner cruise and a sunset tour. You’ll see the stunning mountain scenery and possibly even catch a glimpse of some of the local wildlife.
6. Explore the Cave and Basin National Historic Site: This site is the birthplace of Canada’s national park system and offers a glimpse into the history of the area.
7. Go horseback riding: There are several stables in the area that offer horseback riding tours, which are a great way to experience the natural beauty of Banff.
8. Visit the Banff Centre for Arts and Creativity: This cultural center offers a variety of performances, exhibits, and workshops throughout the year.
9. Take a helicopter tour: For a truly unique perspective on the park, take a helicopter tour and see the mountains and glaciers from above.
10. Go rock climbing: Banff is home to some of the best rock climbing in the world, with routes for all levels of experience.
11. Visit the Whyte Museum of the Canadian Rockies: This museum offers a glimpse into the history and culture of the area, with a variety of exhibits and artifacts.
12. Go fishing: Banff is home to a variety of fish, including trout, grayling, and pike, and there are several fishing guides in the area to help you catch your dinner.
13. Take a bike tour: There are several bike tours available in Banff, including road and mountain biking tours.
14. Go camping: Banff is home to several campgrounds, including the Tunnel Mountain Campground, which offers stunning mountain views.
15. Take a gondola ride: The Banff Gondola offers a unique perspective on the park, with breathtaking views from the top.
16. Visit the Banff Park Museum: This museum offers a glimpse into the natural history of the area, with a variety of exhibits and specimens.
17. Go wildlife watching: Banff is home to a variety of wildlife, including elk, bighorn sheep, and grizzly bears, and there are several guided tours available to help you spot them.
18. Take a scenic flight: For a truly unique perspective on the park,take a scenic flight and see the mountains and valleys from above. You’ll get a bird’s eye view of the park’s most beautiful and remote areas.
19. Visit the Fairmont Banff Springs Hotel: This historic hotel is a must-see for history buffs. The hotel, built in 1888, offers a glimpse into the past and is a beautiful example of Victorian architecture.
20. Take a day trip to Jasper National Park: Banff’s neighbor to the north, Jasper National Park, offers a similar array of activities and breathtaking scenery. Consider taking a day trip to explore this beautiful park as well.
Banff National Park is a true natural wonder that offers a wide range of activities for visitors of all ages and interests. From hiking and skiing to hot springs and historical sites, there is something for everyone to enjoy. Don’t miss out on the opportunity to explore this Canadian gem and all it has to offer. Happy travels!